Sign up to my mailing list for inspiration, tips, recipes, news and your free healthy shopping guide!
My husband is partial to a little something sweet in the afternoon at work. This is his new favourite snack: an oaty, fruity, nutty bar that’s not overly sweet but is just sweet enough to hit the spot. It also has lots of good fats and protein to make sure you don’t get a big spike in blood sugar.
Just remember to press the mixture down really well so that it doesn’t fall apart when you try to slice it. (And if you’re not a fan of hazelnuts, try walnuts or whatever nut you like.)
Line a baking dish with baking parchment (I use a 10 inch square baking dish). Preheat the oven to 160 degrees.
300g (3 ¼ cups) oats (I use jumbo oats)
150g (1 cup) frozen or fresh blueberries
10 tablespoons coconut oil
10 tablespoons maple syrup
5 tablespoons almond butter
150g (1 ¼ cups) hazelnuts put in a plastic food bag and bashed roughly with a rolling pin. (Or substitute whichever nut you prefer).
1. Melt the oil, syrup and almond butter in a pan, stirring them together until they’re combined.
2. Stir in the oats and nuts and fold in the blueberries.
3. Transfer the mixture to the lined baking tin and press down very firmly with the back of a spoon to make sure it’s all compressed.
4. Bake in the pre-heated oven for half an hour.
5. Cool completely in the tin, then put in the fridge for a few hours before slicing them.
Last month, I got a call from Dr Aseem Malhotra, consultant cardiologist and best-selling author of The Pioppi [...]read more